Index

Monday, July 29, 2013

LMDC’s Chairman refuses to compromise quality health

Warns public against opening substandard clinic around town
Dr. John Mulbah, Chairman of the Liberia Medical and Dental Council (LMDC) says during his reign he will not compromise quality health services for the existence of voluminous quantity of health facilities. He made this declaration at a news conference held yesterday at the LMDC’s head office in Sinkor where he addressed an array of journalists on the functions and guidelines of the Council. Such declaration was predicated on the question about the need for more medical facilities to tend to the 3.5 million population of Liberia in face of the pressing need for quality health. According to Dr. Mulbah, the objective of the LMDC was aimed at ensuring that the medical field in Liberia was standardized to raid off quack doctors and low-key medical facilities which jeopardized the life of Liberia’s citizenry. He told the conference that too often; individuals in their quest to provide health services in certain communities go about turning their bedrooms or the back of their drugstores into clinics thus ignoring the standard requirement of establishing a clinic as set out by the LMDC. Dr. Mulbah promised that all “clinics” falling below the standard set by the council will be closed down no matter who owns them because before a clinic is established there should be consultation with the LMDC. He noted that consultation with the LMDC was necessary for the proper zoning as well as ensuring that all facilities essential to the operation of a quality clinic was adhered to for such establishment. Speaking on the structure of the LMDC, Dr. Mulbah noted that the council comprised of 13 members who make up five standing committees to regulate the effective operation of the medical and dental sector of the country. Among the committees named by Dr. Mulbah were the executive, examination and credential, disciplinary, education and training, and finance, budget and planning committees. Dr. Mulbah noted that all of the committees were set up because actors within the medical field are to protect the people of the country therefore the LDMC will not allow those actors to risk the lives of the citizenry. He said that any individual or institution investigated by the LDMC and found culpable of medical malpractice in the country will be handled accordingly with necessary penalties.

“Mercenaries” defense corners State prosecutors

As Judge Kaba disallow illegal video recordings of defendants
State prosecutors yesterday lose out on an argument concerning the introduction of some video recordings as evidence in the trials of 18 Liberians alleged to have committed mercenarism against neighboring Ivory Coast. Based on a motion to suppress the evidence as filed by the lawyers representing the defendants, video clips testified to by the State’s fifth witness, Mr. Thomas Gblayee, was disallowed by His Honor Yussif D. Kaba on grounds that they were illegally obtained. Having disallowed the State’s video-graphic evidence, Judge Kaba order that Witness Gblayee take the witness stand to continue the testimony he gave on Saturday, July 20, 2013 but he was not in the bailiwick of the court which prompted the judge to postpone the day’s hearing to today. During the early morning hours of yesterday sitting, state prosecutors installed video screening gadgets in the edifice of Criminal Court “D” ready to display video recordings which had been testified to by Witness Gblayee while on covert operations which led to the subsequent arrest of the defendants in the dock and the retrieval of some small arms. According to Witness Gblayee, each time he was around the defendants he used his disguised camera phone to record conversations they were having concerning their alleged mercenary operation in the Ivory Coast. Some other activity Witness Gblayee claimed to have capture with his phone were his visit to Defendant Neezee Barway at the Ivoirian refugees’ camp in Grand Gedeh and the journey to the Gbeliah Forest where some of the small arms allegedly used by the defendants in Ivory Coast were retrieved from. When said testimony was given by Witness Gblayee, the Stated requested that the videos be included among the already existing evidence furnished the defendants lawyers but Cllr. Tiawon Gongloe, one of the lawyers representing the defense counsels objected to such inclusion. Cllr. Gongloe’s objection was overruled by Judge Kaba who said to serve the best interest of justice it was necessary that every piece of evidence that could help the case be admitted. However, based on the issue of legality raised by the defense counsel concerning video-graphing of people and places without consensus Judge Kaba rated the video clips sought to be introduced into evidence as illegal thus being fit for disallowance. When the clips were disallowed by Judge Kaba, cheers swept across the court spectators (journalists excluded) and glee fill the faces of the defendants who could have been truly exposed if their images were going to be seen in the suppressed video-graphic evidence. Meanwhile, Witness Gblayee is expected to retake the witness’ stand today to continue answering to direct examination from state prosecutors after which he will undergo cross-examination so as to ascertain what he actually knows about the involvement of the defendants alleged operations in the Ivory Coast.